I have the greatest amount of respect and admiration for Bishop Gilbert Earl Patterson. There are really no words to express how incredible of a preacher this man was! Even though he has gone on to be with the Lord, his spirit lives with us! In honor of his birthday, here are a few great videos from a MAJOR catalogue.
For the church kids… Every church has a church mother.. responsible for undergurding the ministry, praying for the saints and teaching the women to be holy! No matter what denomination, state, or spiritual persuasion.. they all have somethings in common.. shall we review?
1. A Good wig:Its not that they need one but sometimes you have to get to the hospital to pray over the sick or deliver a plate of food to the bereaved and you do not have time to put your hair in a pony tail so you grab a wig, slap it on and jump in the Buick the kids bought you!
2. A collection of safety pins:The safety pin to the church mother is the equivalent of a good asprin to the sick… it will fix ANYTHING… Your skirt, your pants, a hole, the communion table clothe, dirt under your nails, wax in your ears, a loose wig.. you name it! Mother has one and she can take care of the problem!
3. A formidable hat collection:One in every major color…almost always have a rhinestone or an Australian crystal. These are not accessories to a mother.. they are apart of the outfit… When they travel to Memphis they ship the hats ahead of them so that they get their in time for morning Manna without being squished! You are not allowed to play in them young ladies!
4. A fur: This accessory may come as a coat, hat, gloves, or accessory glued on their suit but fir represents dignity and distinction…expect for it to be draped over one shoulder! If it is, she is a mother.. if it is on the cuffs of her suit.. she might be a mother in training or a Burlington shopper!
5. The “mother face”:This means she aint playin… some smile a lot but the good majority of them have afaced dressed in wisdom.. see “the face” below!
6. Peppermints:Not necessarily because your breath stinks but because she is cautious.. somebodies sugar could be low on the mothers board or she may need to give a crying grand baby something to suck to quiet them…
7. Holy Oil:its like lotion to them! They rub it on their hands in the morning.. use after the bathroom! You name it, holy oil will fix it! They have a small bottle in the car, house, purse and any other nookie you can think of! You will never know when duty calls!
9. A coin purse:She never knows whens he will run into a deserving kid or some poor man.. however the primary reason she has this coin purse is to hold large sums of cash. This coin purse may be safety pinned to her bra strap.
10. An encouraging word.. it might just be “God bless you” or “stay sweet” but a mother has a way of making you feel loved!
Bishop Chandler Davis Owens, a fantastic preacher shares a word with the New Hope COGIC in 1985.
CLICK HERE to view the 11 a.m. (PST) worship Service of the Progressive COGIC!
[COGIC.COM] COGIC.COM will provide online streaming of the National Celebration of Life service for Former Presiding Bishop Chandler David Owens Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 7pm(eastern) 6pm(central) 4pm(pacific) and on on Friday, March 11, 2011 at 11am(eastern) 10am(central) 8am(pacific).
If you are unable to be in Marietta, Georgia, please visit www.cogic.com and tune-in to the webcast as we honor this great man of God!
If you are traveling to Marietta to attend the service and require lodging, please observe the following:
The Crowne Plaza Atlanta Perimeter NW
6345 Powers Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30339
7 Miles to Greater Community COGIC
8 Miles to Turner Chapel
1. Everybody has a church “front on.” MOST of us know how to “act” at church. If you been in church long enough, you know how to avoid a drag out when someone starts cutting up. I am at a point now where I don’t mind that people straighten up their act when they are at church. It REALLY helps out the folks who are sincere about doing God’s work! Makes a bit easier. If the “authentic you” is not nice, please help me out by…
The truth is, we are all human and we get mad, angry, annoyed, horny, tired, over-worked and out of line sometimes… but thank God for the grace, mercy and the pastor to put us back in line… well mine, at least! Heheh!
2. You can take people “out of the world” but you cannot take the “world” out of people. They will CUT UP! I have seen some jaw-dropping events take place! I am no longer able to be surprised. I take that back… I haven’t seen a pastor throw blows yet… but some of us give some of them a reason to!
3. People use their titles and power to manipulate and treat people poorly. They do that everywhere, though. You can best learn how to “deal” with difficult people by “dealing” with church people. Prayer can change the WORST attitudes. I know. Prayer is a tune up for my attitude.. quite often! Continue reading