Alright.. here we go!
1. Kirk Franklin opened up the show with a brand new song, “Get Up and Live.” Kirk is hopping all over the place, as usual. He’s wearing a short-sleeved suit, knee boots and is yelling to the top of his lungs. I am over the dancing. Kirk is always better to listen to because he doesn’t much of anything when performing. He’s like the hype man with a little choreography. The good thing is that he is doing it for Jesus!
2. Caught a glimpse of Beverly Crawford’s hair. She’s obviously hanging around some Detroit greats! I am not saying any names!
3. Smokie Norful and Myron Butler blessed the audience with a Sunday Morning Medley that opened up with “I’m A Soldier In The Army Of The Lord.” Myron’s suit was too shiny. He looked like foil from a plate of food you bring home from the church.
4. “Sunday Best” 3 winner Leandria Johnson, Season 2 winner Y’Anna Crawley, Jessica Reedy, Kelly Price and Chante Moore girl-grouped the popular worship ballad “Because Of Who You Are.” Why does Kelly have on pants? They could have just had Leandria do this by herself, even though I enjoy all of them. Too much talent on one stage. Lackluster.
5. Is Hill Harper preaching? Jonathan Nelson & Purpose brought it with “Expect the Great!” I always like what they choose to wear. The men look like men. No loud clothing. I really like this song.
6. The legendary Chaka Khan performed “Through The Fire” and really tried to go in. IS this a gospel song? I just think of Kanye when I hear this song even though I know she is the originator. BET has this bad habit of getting people to perform but forgetting to make them aware of the occasion. Is this BET Honors?
7. Vashawn Mitchell ministered with “Nobody Greater” with Israel Houghton on guitar! Awesome! This is my jam (Snapping my fingers like somebody’s mom). I never realized how mild-mannered Vashawn Mitchell is.
8. El DeBarge sang his new song, “Second Chance,” along with Howard Hewitt on “Say Amen.” I am just not sure who these songs are about. Howard got his sang on, though.
9. Israel Houghton performed “Help Somebody” featuring Kirk Franklin. Too many skinny jeans in the kingdom. Fast-forward.
10. Mary Mary sang their new song, “Something Big.” I like. They look good, too! Cute.
11. The Rance Allen Group ministered “Living For Jesus.” Rance and Co. are pretty consistent.
12. Earnest Pugh ministered, “Rain On Us.” Another shiny suit. This one looks a tad plastic but a bit more manageable. beautiful performance… Can’t go wrong with Earnest.
13. Kathy Taylor, Byron Cage and Smokie Norful sang a tribute to deceased gospel greats Walter Hawkins and Albertina Walker. Kathy Taylor is quite underrated, if that’s possible to be in gospel.
14. James Fortune & FIYA performed their new jam, “I Believe.” I love Shawn McClemore! He can just SANG! He’s a great touch to this song!
15. Whitney Houston and Kim Burrell. Not much more that needs to be said… This song was written by R. Kelly… and these people have made this song a classic. Beautiful. Just beautiful. They should have ended it here.
16. But nooooooooooooooooooo… Beverly Crawford came to close us out. She was cool…
BET is tacky! Why did the choir have on green club bracelets!?
Overall, this was good show. I would give it a sold 6 out of 10. There wasn’t enough soul-stirring performances for me. Lots of pageantry. I would have loved to see Kim and Whitney close this out.
Whitney & Kim Burrell!
Steve Harvey hosts!
El DeBarge and Howard Hewitt!
Kelly Price wore Jeans.
Okay! More pics below! Click to enlarge!!